Wednesday, September 19, 2012

SPICA's "I'll Be There" Comeback Single



       Rookie female band Spica is coming back after six months since their "Painkiller" promotions with a new single album featuring their title song, "I'll Be There." The track sounds funky and fresh with a 90's hip-hop vibe. I don't like that they wanted to transform Spica's strong, womanly image to "fresh and bubbly" this time around, but I'll have to make due, because "I'll Be There," written by Jung Da Eun and Marco, is a fun, feel-good song only made better by Spica's stellar vocals. Their company really needs to work on it's originality, however, since the music video is very mediocre- nothing special, nothing new, and one of their outfit changes look like the same blinged-out "hip-hop" gear from their "Painkiller" promotions. Still, their too-cool-to-care t-shirt, ripped jeans and lumberjack boots featured in their promotion photos (above) are a good look for them.

Honestly, it's not about the outfits, but more about whether their company is misguiding the group's image. Since they are composed of five women and their youngest member being 23, the "cute and bubbly" concept does not mean the same thing for that age bracket as it does if, say, they were 17 year olds. If they are women- give them more meaningful, womenly songs with dance choreography that does less bouncing around and more conveying the lyrics. The hot pink shorts and revealing belly button outfits make me wince, because Spica, with their awesome raw vocals, deserves a better group identity than what their company is selling.

Spica "I'll Be There" MV

Netizens also commented that the song sounds very much like Janet Jackson's "Together Again" and the rap part sounds like Spice Girls' hit song, "Wanna Be," further discrediting the song's originality.

What their company fails to do in originality, Spica manages to make up for on stage, so stay tuned for video posts from their live comeback performances!


Spica "I'll Be There" MCD Comeback Stage (120920)

Spica "I'll Be There" Comeback Stage Music Bank (120921)

Comments:
Whatever issues I had with their video and concept outfits before are surpassed by their incredibly bright and light-hearted performance in today's M! Countdown for their first "I'll Be There" comeback stage. Not only are the girls smiling and having a good time, but their voices sound incredible just belting out the notes. I think it's funny and kinda awesome that their singing looks effortless- it's just the dancing that makes them look the smallest bit self-conscious. Either way, I'm a firm believer that true vocal talent, effort and eventual experience will create the best idols, so I hope Spica will continue to rock my ears. On a side note, the throwback denim and camouflage look fits surprisingly well, making the members look both pretty and laid back.

No comments:

Post a Comment