Monday, July 9, 2012

2NE1 Comeback with "I Love You"


       Popular trend-leading girl group 2NE1 returned on June 5th with their first single, "I Love You," and already it's rapidly climbing the charts. Since their 2nd mini-album released last year garnered success with the same staggered- release marketing strategy, YG Entertainment is planning to do the same this time around. Instead of releasing the whole album at once, more focus can be given to each single release through its specific promotion period.

YG Entertainment officially stated the following: "Rather than introduce the whole album at once, we want to focus on each song's promotion. Following our first single 'I Love You', we will release our second single three weeks later."

"I Love You" is a track written by producer Teddy Park. I have to say the song has that rare quality that sounds like it should have a faster beat, but is still incredibly addictive. I have to say, the only part I didn't like was the repetitive "I Love You" first chorus part, and wished he included more of that slow beat from the beginning of the song. In fact, the track was a bit chaotic because it had so many hooks and choruses, while alternating between  reggae-pop and progressive house music. As for the song lyrics, this would be 2NE1's first love confession. "Lonely" was the only other track that came close, but even then the lyrics are about self-absorbed love with limitations. We can only hope that this theme of open love is a start for 2NE1 to explore even more varied, mature concepts.

The music video itself wasn't particularly interesting, in fact, I spent most of it watching their hair changes. Otherwise, the girls were being sassy and sometimes danced seductively in moody lighting.

2NE1 "I Love You" MV

2NE1 "I Love You" Comeback on SBS Inkigayo (120708)

No comments:

Post a Comment