Sunday, April 14, 2013

BTOB Thanks fans with "Second Confession"




       It's a beautiful start to 2013 when I get all my favorite boys bands coming back in a timely manner. First it's Infinite H, then it's Teen Top, then U-Kiss, then Infinite7, now finally BtoB! Thought I didn't expect both Infinite and BtoB to return with 'romantic spring' concept comebacks, I am glad to hear both bands' distinct vocals anyway. This newest single, "Second Confession," is a thank you to fans for their dedication and support over the last year since BtoB's debut. The lyrics are about coming back to a past lover and confessing a second time. Now that's different. Not repetitive mistakes, but a second chance at love. Though I can't help thinking that the "for the fans" announcement is just a lame Cube marketing strategy, I appreciate that they're giving me a BtoB song I didn't expect. As the new raw rookies of Cube, BtoB absolutely blows me away with their vocals. Out of seven members, there is probably only one or two relatively 'weak' vocals- and they're the rappers! What I like about BtoB is that they never stop trying to acquire new musical abilities- a rapper isn't just a rapper, like in the case of Minhyuk. He's also a steady vocalist, plays the piano, a rookie actor, does intense acrobatics, and a diligent English student.

"Second Confession" is one of their 'softer' songs, with a slower ballad-type melody, but the music video highlights what Cube is really shooting for. I don't like comparing groups, but BtoB is has the same intention as Infinite- they are displaying their individual personalities with minimal embellishment. When I saw, "Man in Love," I thought, "Ah... this is what Infinite is really like." I felt the same thing when I saw the "Second Confession" MV. What sets each comeback apart is each member's personality and varied interpretations of what it means to be in love.


BtoB "Second Confession" MV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zuoNuI4fHQ

BtoB "Second Confession" MV (Eng Sub) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6Wvc2iMtE

BtoB "Second Confession" MV (Pajama version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i06rYg2Kqyg#!


How I saw the (original) MV:
From the start of the MV, Minhyuk is reciting fan letters from a radio station in his prim scholarly manner. A letter flies past a building that looks like something from their "Irresistable Lips" set and lands on Ilhoon's bike, as he pedals enthusiastically while reciting an energizing rap. While he acts his age as a cute kid, Minhyuk jogs by on his morning run, pumping his fists boxer-style and spinning smooth dance circles. The letter makes its way to Eunkwang, who is neatly dressed in a blazer and lying on a bench. The camera pans down the same sidewalk, where Changsub is sliding by with smooth jazz moves, his hat pulled stylishly low over one eye. In that moment, I swear I was seeing a younger version of Taeyang from "Wedding Dress." I know Changsub's a surprisingly good rapper, but I didn't know he had so much dancing swag, either. This active letter then flies into a brown market bag containing baguettes, and Sungjae jauntily saunters his way through a high building walkway. He gets bored and hands it to Hyunsik (imploring puppy style), who gladly accepts the bag as if it were a badge, merrily carrying it along with a triumphant smile on his face. The two perform a small jaunty dance and hook elbows in bromance. The group then reunites and perform a little skiddattling dance (I'm running out of words here) while Peniel raps a cute English segment in a loose, just-got-out-of-bed manner. Next, Minhyuk is riding shotgun in a silver Oldsmobile with uncle driver Eunkwang. The windows are down and he raps dreamily until they come to the red light, where Ilhoon is crossing the street. I swear, he's one of the few that can pull off a rap wearing green pants with white polka dots. This entering and leaving of individual members repeat throughout the song, until everyone finally settles by nighttime in a wooden-paneled room with soft but bright lighting. They are all dressed in casual blazer outfits, and continue their mellow singing jig while fiddling with various instruments. Peniel throws in another particularly memorable rap, "Throwing away my pride to ask you to come back, I'll be your shoulder strap and you can be my backpack." Then, a random girl appears, staring at the moon. It's the only part of the MV I have a problem with, just because it was unnecessarily moody when the boys had been cheerily singing. Then, the letter rides the wind through mysterious girl's open patio door and voila! She reads it. The last shot is of the boys giving derpy expressions and posing at the camera in their sitting state.

Comments:
Though I feel this MV and track is a little too mellow for BtoB's style, I'm glad that they're trying something new. I enjoyed the simple outfits and haircuts as well, because it showcases just how surprisingly handsome and charming these boys are. The hand rolling dance is the best addition. I also like that each song highlights different member's vocals. In "Second Confession," main rappers Minhyuk, Ilhoon and Peniel took the spotlight, bringing in energized raps in the midst of sweet choruses. Strangely enough, they did all this without devoiding anyone of singing or rapping parts. The song was very evenly divided, even more so than their previous tracks. Way to set up each member to be a vital component, Cube. I hope to see BtoB increase their performance difficulties next. Maybe something dark and mysterious? With a 'pretty please' on top?

The "Pajama" version of the "Second Confession" MV is just too precious. They look too darn adorable to be teens and males in their early twenties, but I'm glad they can pull it off so well. The dancing is a little awkward because they're wearing such light clothing, but I still like this casual, carefree BtoB more than the one trying to "confess."


BtoB "Second Confession" Live Performances:

130411 M! Countdown Comeback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bapxcVKUGYo

130412 Music Bank Comeback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CtmIId0Bw

130413 Music Core Comeback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPGaZBtBM8M

130414 Inkigayo Comeback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mppKoJjSh_8


Eunkwang: leader, main vocalist (high notes)

Changsub: vocalist (emotional)

Minhyuk: rapper, vocalist

Hyunsik: vocalist (mellow)

Peniel: rapper, Chicago boy

Ilhoon: charismatic rapper

Sungjae: vocalist, maknae



No comments:

Post a Comment